Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ranges in Infinity

I've always imagined combat in Infinity to break down into certain range brackets, and have referred to them in this way in conversations. I'm putting these up, along with brief definitions, to get my viewpoint out there. Keep in mind that these ranges are mutually exclusive. 

Under 10" - Point Blank Range
This is where Chain Rifles starting hitting, and is close enough that melee becomes a real possibility. Many guns are +0 at around this range, which also means the ones that aren't are usually best here.

Under 16" - Close Range
Where Rifles shine. Theoretically where most of the fighting should happen, but since the active player wants to avoid giving the defender +3 range, is actually avoided like the plague.

Under 24" - Mid Range
Where Rifles are bad and things like Spitfires are good. The most common range for models with heavy weapons or X-Visors, because their BS and Burst advantage make many models easy pickings.

Over 24" - Long Range

The extreme range, which will be scarce on a table. HMGs and Sniper Rifles dominate here and will actively seek fights at this range, making it appear common. Nearly any other gun is worthless here.

I realize that these categories are rather broad, but I prefer that over making them too specific. To me, there's not much difference between 10" and 8", or 32" and 36", even though those few inches make a big difference depending on the weapons used. I feel that on the battlefield as a whole, they are similar enough in concept and execution. Obviously, not everyone will share my views on this, and I'm always eager to see other approaches to Infinity.

2 comments:

  1. As an Ariadna player, I find myself thinking in much smaller increments:

    0-4 (Smoke Grenades);
    4-8 (blind spot for everything except Shotguns);
    8-16 (Rifles);
    16-24 (Mk12, if I have it);
    24-32 (HMG);
    <32 (Sniper Rifle, TAG engagement range).

    I think that because Ariadna players lack certain tools (Combi-Rifle, Spitfire), they need to learn to think in different ranges than the ones you've laid out. Your justifications are good, though, and I can definitely see how one might play the game thinking of ranges in that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that should read > 32...engaging a TAG at a range that gives it a penalty to hit is a good idea, especially if you're engaging it with a weapon with superior burst and comparable penalties.

      Delete