Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ottawa Hacker Bonanza Tournament - Part 2

First Marker to blink loses
Unfortunately, I don't have a variety of pictures like I had for the last tournament a couple months ago. Part of the reason for this is that the camera's batteries died partway through the second round. In fact, the shots of the armies were taken with an iPhone. Regardless, here we go.


In the first round, Hot Potato, I faced Penemue's Ariadna on the wilderness board. He was fielding stuff like Valerya Gromoz and William Wallace.

It started off pretty poorly for me, with Wallace and a Chasseur nailing my Netrod and Naga, and pinning in my Dasyu with Combi on the right side. My Dasyu Multi Sniper was the only thing stopping them from just running on in. The left side had Penemue's Moblot engaging my Posthuman Doctor, and in an attempt to shake it loose, the Posthuman jumped into her Mk2 body. Sadly, her shots killed not only the Moblot, but also her Mk1 body.

Despite my poor start, Penemue couldn't make much of a run for the room in the middle because I had a TO Multi Sniper watching each doorway. This evened out the momentum, and all he could squeeze in was Valerya, who wasn't able to reach the Terminal. I then moved my Dasyu Sniper into the room, but his Paracommando took her out. On the final turn, my Deva with Spitfire ran into the room and killed Valerya, giving me 3 VP for conquering the Terminal Room.


The second round, Environmental Consciousness, had me against endalyon's Aleph on the desert board. He had his double Hackers and Zayin Rebot.

My first roll of the game had my Netrod scatter way out into the open. My opponent's Netrod, of course, did not. =\ Endalyon deployed the Druze Hacker about 8" outside my Deployment Zone, so I had to kill it if I wanted to do anything. It must've had some neo-titanium armour, because it took forever to die. I then lost several units when endalyon's Naga Minelayer went on a Dogged rampage, somehow ducking every shot except for the very first one which triggered the Dogged.

The centre room was cleared out by endalyon's Asura, who saved against the Monofilament Mine that was then destroyed by his Zayin's E/M Launcher. I killed the Asura with shots to the back, then Annexed a Control Panel, but it was too little too late. An opposing Naga and Dasyu ran up and Annexed two Panels, leaving endalyon with 2 VP to my 1.


For the third round
, Yojimbo Cage Match, I faced JAD's Ariadna on the wilderness board. He brought his Loup Garou and Tankhunters.

I got Deployment, which meant that I got Musashi. JAD's Loup Garou blitzed up the board, taking out my Dasyu Multi Sniper, but a long shot Crit from my Posthuman Doctor stopped him. I ran Musashi right at a pair of Camo Markers, knowing that one of them was a Mine. JAD wanted his Chasseur to live, so he detonated the Mine, killing Musashi and netting me 1 VP. My Posthuman Multi Sniper exchanged shots with his troops, killing the Moblot and wounding the Vet Kazak.

There was then a lull in the action, during which I Mined the hell out the centre room, to make it difficult for JAD to claim the Blue Prints. After destroying some of the Mines, he decided to instead just go after my guys, killing my Deva Lt and almost killing my Posthuman Mk2. However, this left my Dasyu, who was still in the centre room, free to pick up the Blue Prints. End result was 3 VP for me.


Final standings:
1st - endalyon (Aleph)
2nd - Penemue (Ariadna)
3rd - MuRm (Aleph)
4th - JAD (Ariadna)

After the tournament, we all talked about the scenarios, and it was generally agreed that although the scenarios were good in theme and concept, they would get some balance tweaking for next time. Regardless, thank you Tevesh for running a great event. I am thinking about running the next tournament, as it's about time that I did so.

Here's some more photos from the tournament day.

JAD's rather linear deployment

Amorphous black mass descends from the skies

My terrible deployment in Round 1

The Dasyu wants that Potato real bad

No comments:

Post a Comment