Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Word to the Wise

 
I've always bought two drill bits whenever I pick up a new size for my pin vice. Those bits are small and can snap when using them, even if you're trying to be careful. If it does snap, you'll be glad you had that spare, and the extra $2 is easily worth it over the trouble of going back to the hobby shop.

Well, the other day I went to the hobby shop to pick up some wires in different sizes, and of course I also needed to get drill bits in the appropriate sizes. I've never actually had a drill bit snap on me, so I decided, on the spot, "Feh, I don't need to pick up spares".

Predictably, the moment I tried to use one of the drill bits, it snapped. Leaving me totally screwed and wishing I wasn't such an idiot.

So, remember. Always pick up that spare drill bit.

2 comments:

  1. Argh. I'd always think of picking up a bunch of wires/rods, but I'd never imagine that drilling soft pewter would necessitate a second bit.

    Good to know for the future, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't break because of the pewter, it breaks because it's very thin. Unless it's at a perfect 90 degree angle, the very act of drilling puts stress on the bit, and since it cannot bend, it may instead break.

    If the drill is motor powered it's much more likely to happen due having less control, and of course if you're drilling into something hard, you need to be careful as well.

    Incidentally, sharp pieces of metal flying at high speeds are dangerous, and you may want to protect your eyes.

    ReplyDelete