Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Minor Progress Update

Just dropping in a small update about my progress with the forest terrain project, because I know it looks like I've been slacking.

The plastic card sheet I ordered has fallen through. I was assured it would arrive just a few days after I ordered it. It didn't, but it wasn't a big deal since they then told me it would be just a few more days, meaning I could still work on it during the holidays. What they neglected to inform me of was that they would be taking an extended holiday break, and be closed during that whole time. Now, three weeks after the initial promised date, they're open again but there's still nothing.

That's too long for me, and now I'm looking for alternatives. For the forest templates themselves, I'm looking at picking up masonite board at an art store. It's fairly cheap and I see no reason why it wouldn't work, although I'll need to figure out a practical way to cut it.

I was also planning on using the plastic sheet for something else. I picked up cheap grey floor tiles at Dollarama some time ago, with the intention of using them as a basic playing surface. The LGS's tables are covered in green felt, which is generally ok, but not for urban environments. I figure the grey colour is close enough to asphalt or whatever, and it should be pretty durable.

One of the tiles, plus Zoe & Pi-Well
Anyway, the tiles need a larger base to stick to so they aren't so loose, and if I'm not getting plastic sheets, I'll probably go with the original plan I had, which is to stick them on foamcore.

No comments:

Post a Comment