Sunday, December 25, 2011

Ready Set Go!

I've always loved playing miniature war games, but I've never been much into the hobby aspect. This is most evident in my Infinity collection, where only 5% of my models have any paint on them and I've only ever fully painted up one of them. I've now decided to take the hobby side of wargaming more seriously, and this blog will hopefully serve to motivate me while serving as a record of my progress.


I'll mostly be keeping my posts restricted to my progress with hobby stuff, to keep me on target. This means stuff like painting, terrain, and assembly. I'll also try to take pictures. Currently, my photography is bad but hopefully I'll be able to look back on this and see my photography improve with time.

Also, I have to thank Penemue for causing me to even think about doing a blog. His blog is starting off great, and after seeing the beginning of his Sophotect series, I started thinking about the potential in that sort of thing. So here I am.

To start things off, here's a forest template I've been working on.

 
It's my first ever attempt at something like this, and my first time working with flock (aside from a couple bases). I was approaching this as a learning experience, and it really was. I now have a much better idea of how to use the materials effectively. You might say "how hard could it be, you just spread the glue and slap the flock on", and although that is basically the core of it, when you're starting from zero you make a lot of minor mistakes that dramatically slow down the process.

I know it doesn't look like much, and I'm still not sure if I've sealed it enough to stand up to abuse, but I'm now much more confident about the whole idea. I've ordered a 4'x8' sheet of plastic card from Plastics and Signs, and hope to use part of it as a base for a couple large forest templates. I was expecting it to arrive a week ago, but I'll live.

No comments:

Post a Comment